Maryland is a special place all year long, but particularly on the fourth of July. We’re the state where the national anthem – The Star Spangled Banner – was penned from an 1814 Francis Scott Key poem and our state is rich with revolutionary history. Each Independence Day, Marylanders stand proud – hot dogs and beer in hand – to celebrate community, national pride and the official start of summer. Here are a few of the most stellar 2013 Fourth of July celebrations in Maryland’s Montgomery and Howard Counties:
- Gaithersburg: Head to the Montgomery County Fairgrounds on July 4 for the City of Gaithersburg Independence Day Celebration. You can look forward to concert headliner The Lloyd Dobler Effect, along with strolling entertainers, games for the whole family and of course, plenty of food. For more about the Gaithersburg Fourth of July festivities, head to the community website here.
- Germantown: Montgomery County sponsors fireworks in both Germantown and a little to the south in the Kensington/Wheaton area. Grab the whole family and head to see the patriotic concert at 7 p.m. at the Germantown Soccerplex at the South Germantown Recreational Park on July 4, followed by a fireworks display at 9:30 p.m.
- Kensington: The second location for Montgomery County’s sponsored fireworks is a little closer in to the D.C. border. Albert Einstein High School in Kensington will host a 7:30 p.m. concert, followed by 9:15 p.m. fireworks. The best part? There is a shuttle planned to pick up those looking to head to the celebration beginning at 6:15 p.m. at Westfield Wheaton and the Wheaton Metro Station.
- Takoma Park: There is so much history in Takoma Park – a suburb adjacent to Silver Spring, Md. and just outside of Washington, D.C. Join the community for the 124th Fourth of July Parade and Fireworks – a celebration steeped in tradition and planned by an all-volunteer committee. Fireworks are scheduled to begin at 9:30 p.m., following a day of festivities.
- Columbia: A lakefront festival and fireworks await your family at the Howard County Recreation and Parks event on July 4. In addition to a handful of musicians and entertainers, the U.S. Air Force’s rock band, Max Impact, will take the stage to energize attendees. There are events for all ages planned – including a “Wild and Crazy Hair” activity that will leave you mohawked and glittery. Get your fill of kettle korn, funnel cakes, crab cakes and cheese steaks in Columbia on July 4 from 5 to 10 p.m. More information is available here.
Of course, in a place as patriotic and diverse as Maryland, there are many more Independence Day celebrations than those we listed. Head to VisitMaryland.org for more on festivities happening across the state – from the laid back Eastern Shore, to Baltimore’s sparkling harbor, or even in Maryland’s beautiful mountains to the west.
Maryland is a great place to live – and the perfect setting to celebrate freedom, family and community this fourth of July. Let the Speicher Group know if you are looking to make any of these areas your home!